I like to eat. I love good food and I seek large portions. Unlike most girls who opt for a salad (minus the croutons), I'm all about the main meaty entree with all of the trimmings. In college, I prided myself in eating contests with the boys and surprised them with my belly-stretching abilities. I was a lightweight girl with a heavyweight appetite. Even now, I am usually the last one at the dinner table after David and Parker have finished eating.
Somehow throughout all of my years of food handling, I've missed out on one of the most basic rules of engorgement. Breakfast. I have not eaten breakfast consistently my entire life. What I mean is, when I have eaten breakfast, it's usually been in the form of next-day chocolate chip cookies or leftover muddy buddies. I have honestly skipped breakfast for as long as I can remember.
In Junior High I went to the school nurse about once a week because I felt sick (not realizing it was because my blood sugar was low). In high school I woke up at 5 am every morning for seminary and suffered through until lunch every day. In college I was so busy that the time to break the fast was lunch, if I was lucky. As a new wife, I survived grumpily until lunchtime and now, as a mom, I'm finally realizing what all of you have likely known your whole lives - breakfast is a necessity.
My basic reasons for not eating breakfast were:
1.) I am NOT a morning person and would much rather sleep-in than try to dig through the refrigerator for something to eat.
2.) David is broken-hearted whenever I say this, but I don't like cereal (his favorite thing) and nothing ever sounds good when I just wake up.
3.) I am too lazy and tired in the morning to cook anything that sounds remotely palatable.
4.) I'm usually running too late in the morning (see sleeping-in above) to make anything.
5.) Breakfast food is usually unhealthy and if it is healthy, it's usually unappetizing.
So there you have it. All this time I've been committing Nutrition 101 suicide and without any good reasons. Now that I'm a mom and recognize the need for extra energy throughout the day, I decided to change my ways. I've realized that skipping breakfast has caused me to eat huge portions for lunch and dinner, crave chocolate and sugar to no end and given me stomach aches at night (from eating too much, too late the night before and not having time to digest it) and a stomach ache/headache every morning (from lack of protein and low blood sugar). My metabolism is not what it used to be and eating these large portions are not helping the waistline.
Two weeks ago I made a plan to change things. I created a list of foods that I could handle eating in the morning, that didn't require too much work and wouldn't spoil quickly (like fruit). I then looked on Amazon.com Grocery and checked out breakfast foods. They have a lot of healthy breakfast options on amazon, so I took notes. I bought a large variety of foods online and at the store and have been trying them out ever since.
Out of all the foods that I've tried, I like the Erin Baker's Breakfast Cookie best. http://www.bbcookies.com/ They're all natural, they taste great and are packed with protein and complex carbs. I bought a variety pack, so I get to try a new one everyday. The surprise sadly makes me excited :). I've also been liking Carnation Instant Breakfasts. I know they're full of sugar, but I never drink milk (it forces me too) and they're refreshing and filling in the morning. I figure, at this point, it's better that I eat SOMETHING for breakfast, even if it's not the ideal.
What have I discovered in two weeks of breakfast eating? Much more than I thought I would.
1.) I have way more energy throughout the day.
2.) I don't feel sick in the mornings anymore.
3.) I am hardly craving chocolate or sugar!!! (This is a triumph for me.)
4.) I am only hungry enough for small portions at lunch and even less for dinner.
5.) My stomach doesn't hurt at night.
6.) I am losing weight. My metabolism is getting jump-started in the morning and I'm burning more calories. Plus, I'm not eating as much late at night, so my belly isn't full when I'm burning fewer calories during sleep.
7.) I'm actually looking forward to eating breakfast!
8.) My mood is elevated :).
I know that this epiphanic post makes the reader want to shout "Duh!" But for me, it is an epiphany. If you're a woman, imagine not conditioning your hair for your entire life and then suddenly applying it for the first time. No more gnarly, ratted hair that you have to forcefully pic out after showering. Your routine is now a lot easier and less painful. If you're a man, envision fertilizing your lawn for the first time. What a difference! The lawn that was brown and prickly is now alive, refreshed and inviting. Which is exactly how I feel. I am feeling great. And all of that from eating breakfast - a foe that has now become friend.
I still love food, but with a less temperamental love. I am no longer a respecter of mealtimes. All meals are created equal...but breakfast may actually deserve some preferential treatment :).
"Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper."




5 comments:
I agree with your epiphany, but it took me a while to get there as well!!
Angie,
Thank you for contacting me! I love meeting new people through the blogs. I am especially tickled that you contacted me about geneaology work, it has been a real passion for me lately. I do have a few things on Daniel and William that my Grandma Henrie gave to me not to long ago. However, I am leaving to go out of town today, but when I get back I will contact you to get your email. Well, actually that is a lie, when I get back, I am leaving for Girls camp, so it may take a little while, but I WILL get back to you.
On my end, it gets a little tricky on the line through Daniel. I come through the son of James, who had a son named Elmer. Elmer and Nettie could not have children and so they adopted my grandfather Dale from Nettie's sister who did not want the baby. My grandfather grew up knowing his mother was his aunt and his aunt as his mother and was not told the secret until he was an older adult. Pretty crazy! He was adopted and sealed to the Henrie family and I carried the Henrie name until I was married about 9 years ago. I have no brothers and so I am sad because no one will be carrying on the Henrie name around here. You are so right, it is such a rich heritage to have. Lots of stuff to share! So hang tight, I will get back to you! -Suzanne
I don't drink milk either. Thanks for the tip. I might try the Carnation Instant Breakfast. My husband has been saying for years that I will like them but he likes milk so I have not taken his word for it. He will tease about this but I think my logic makes sense.
Oops. I just read your mom's comment. If you find something that works, I would love an update.
I hear ya sista! I have NEVER been a breakfast person either until about 5 weeks ago when I joined Nutrisystem and have to eat it every day. It was HARD to do this because I usually dont feel like eating until I have been awake for hours. I have noticed similar changes as far as less sugar cravings, eating less bc I am not ravenous by lunch or dinner and even lost 12 lbs! Breakfast is the most important way to jump start ones matabolism and I just had the same "epiphany" this month too! Welcome to the breakfast club. vltmxscf
Post a Comment